FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
310 EU citizens in Mid Sussex stuck in Home Office backlog
End of June cliff-edge looms
The Liberal Democrats are calling for all EU citizens in the UK to be given the automatic right to stay, as new figures reveal that 310 residents of Mid Sussex are still waiting for the Home Office to process their applications - only a month before the Government's deadline.
The latest EU Settlement Scheme statistics show that, as of the end of March, there have been 6650 applications from people living in Mid Sussex but that 310 of these have still not been processed.
The party is warning that those who aren't given 'Settled Status' by the 30th of June could become the victims of "a new Windrush-style scandal".
The figures also reveal that 2450 people in Mid Sussex have only been granted temporary 'Pre-Settled Status'. That means a total of 2760 Mid Sussex applicants have still not been given the permanent right to stay.
Responding to the figures, Liberal Democrat County Councillor Stuart Condie, said:
"Three hundred and ten of our European friends and neighbours in Mid Sussex still don't know what will happen to them at the end of June. They are being forced to cross their fingers and hope the Home Office get to their application in time or otherwise risk deportation.
"EU citizens who've made their lives in Mid Sussex contribute enormously to our economy, our public services and our society. They shouldn't be forced to live with this uncertainty and anxiety any longer."
Liberal Democrat Home Affairs Spokesperson Alistair Carmichael added:
"Boris Johnson promised all EU citizens the automatic right to stay, but this enormous backlog and the growing number of refusals show that the Settled Status scheme is anything but automatic.
It's not too late, but the Government must act now to prevent a new Windrush-style scandal in just a few weeks."
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Stuart Condie, West Sussex County Councillor for Burgess Hill North:
Email - email@example.com
NOTES TO EDITOR:
Advice on EU settled status is contained here:
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND CONTACT INFO DOWNLOAD THE PRESS RELEASE IN FULL HERE
Press Release Archive
- 26/10/2020 - Clair Hall Minority Report
- 12/10/2020 - Five Questions about Clair Hall
- 09/10/2020 - South East Coast Ambulance Service Hoax Calls
- 02/10/2020 - Planning Consultation
- 19/09/2020 - West Sussex Country Council: UASC Motion
- 14/09/2020 - Clair Hall Decision a Major Blow to Haywards Heath and surrounding Community
- 10/09/2020 - Petition Launched to Save Clair Hall
- 20/08/2020 - Finally! Leisure Centres in Mid Sussex will Reopen but Liberal Democrats Voice Concerns About Clair Hall's Future
- 22/07/2020 - Mid Sussex District Council's Site Allocations
- 28/04/2020 - LIBERAL DEMOCRATS CALL ON CONSERVATIVE ADMINISTRATIONS TO REOPEN WASTE AND RECYCLING SITE
- 04/03/2020 - BUDGET AMENDMENT ADOPTED
- 03/03/2020 - POTHOLES
- 20/07/2019 - FRIARS OAK FIELDS APPLICATION CALL IN
- 27/06/2019 - CONSERVATIVE BLOCKING TACTICS ON MSDC
- 10/06/2019 - JACQUIE RUSSELL, WEST SUSSEX COUNCILLOR LIVES IN DEVON
- 22/02/2019 - FIGHT BLUKIP ENTRYISTS IN MAY LOCAL ELECTIONS
- 22/10/2018 - COUNTY HALL PASSES LIB DEM MOTION TO KEEP FRACKING DECISIONS LOCAL
- 06/05/2018 - SAVE EAST GRINSTEAD'S GLEN VUE CARE CENTRE, SAY LIB DEMS
- 05/05/2018 - LIB DEM ELECTION GAINS BODE WELL FOR MID SUSSEX
- 09/04/2018 - LIB DEMS ADOPT ROGER EGGLESTON AS PARLIAMENTARY CANDIDATE FOR MID SUSSEX
- 29/03/2018 - SPEECH ON 28 MARCH BY HASSOCKS COUNCILLOR SUE HATTON (LIBERAL DEMOCRATS) TO MID SUSSEX DISTRICT COUNCIL REGARDING THE ADOPTION OF THE DISTRICT PLAN
- 05/02/2018 - HASSOCKS LIBERAL DEMOCRATS OPPOSE MSDC'S PLANS FOR 500 HOUSES
- 23/10/2017 - HASSOCKS LIB DEMS, LABOUR AND GREENS UNITED IN URGING RESIDENTS TO RESPOND TO THE MODIFIED DISTRICT PLAN
- 02/10/2017 - LIB DEM COUNCILLORS CONDEMN MSDC'S RUSHED DECISION FOR 500 NEW HOMES IN HASSOCKS
- 13/06/2017 - HASSOCKS LIBERAL DEMOCRATS DO THE DOUBLE